- 2 tbsp salt
- ½ cup olive oil , + some for cooking
- 3/4 pound orzo pasta (rice-shaped pasta)
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (3 lemons)
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lbs (16-18 count) shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1 cup minced scallions, white and green parts
- 1 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 hothouse cucumber, unpeeled, seeded, and medium-diced
- 1/2 cup small-diced red onion
- 3/4 pound good feta cheese, large diced
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Fill a large pot with water, add 1 tablespoon of salt and a splash of oil, and bring the water to a boil. Add the orzo and simmer for 9 to 11 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it's cooked al dente. Drain and pour into a large bowl. Whisk together the lemon juice, 1/2 cup olive oil, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Pour over the hot pasta and stir well.
Meanwhile, place the shrimp on a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to combine and spread out in a single layer. Roast for 5 to 6 minutes, until the shrimp are cooked through. Don't overcook!
This recipe tastes just as fabulous without the shrimp.